Constipation is very common problem during pregnancy. Due to high progesterone level, the movement of food in intestines becomes very slow as the nature wants more and more nutrient absorption and gives time to the body for absorption and hence the emptying time of stomach also increases.
Tips to prevent constipation:
- Add fibres to your diet: Add fruit, vegetables, bran etc. so as to have proper residue fibre in your diet. Constipation problem is more common in people who consume more of non-vegetarian food as it does not contain residual fibre, so consume vegetables and fruits no matter you are a vegetarian or a non-vegetarian.
- Have lot of water- Consume at least 2-3 litre of water per day. Have 1-2 glass of lukewarm water first thing in the morning.
- If the problem continues go to your doctor and show him/ her iron and vitamin supplements you are taking and ask if the problem is due to that. If the iron dosage is high then you may suffer from constipation and the doctor will accordingly modify the dosage.
- You can take any laxative that your doctor prescribes. Do not self-medicate.
- Improve your lifestyle. Exercise or walk on regular basis. Do not hold your stools for a long time, use a washroom as and when required.
Even if constipation continues visit your doctor and get yourself checked for haemorrhoids or any such problems.